450 mW High-Reliability 980 nm Pump Laser for Undersea Applications
The 5300LP series pump laser, a 980 nm small form factor pump laser designed for undersea fiber-optic transmission system applications, uses a highly efficient 6570 laser chip with 450 mW output power. This pump module features low thermal impedance mounting, a single-mode polarization-maintaining (PM) fiber pigtail with a fiber Bragg grating (FBG) to stabilize the wavelength, and a hermetically-sealed small form factor package.
The laser chip is based on GaAs/AlGaAs/InGaAs Fabry Perot structure. A low-reflectivity Bragg grating is integrated in a singlemode PM fiber pigtail to provide wavelength locking.
The pump is comprised of the following items:
- 6570 980 nm laser chip
- Fiber pigtail comprised of polarization-maintaining fiber with dual-coat acrylate coating
- Hytrel 7246/7247, 0.9 mm diameter loose tube jacket, length customized, to protect the fiber
- Single fiber Bragg grating for stabilizing the wavelength
- Hermetic, small form factor package with passive cooling of the laser chip
- Getter to assure low moisture level